- If the transaction is authorized but not captured it will reverse the authorization.
- If the transaction is captured but not yet settled it will void the capture.
- If the transaction is settled and the merchant has been paid a credit to the card holder is generated and processed.
- If the amount refunded is less than the original amount, then an adjustment is made if not settled, or a partial credit is given if settled.
A Refund can also be sent without a transactionID and offsetting payment. In order to allow, special configuration must be set on the merchant record. Because the refund is not tied to any transaction, a credit will be generated to the cardholder and no checking is performed.
The EdgePay Refund Response contains non-sensitive data that you use to validate the status of the request and confirm your next steps. See table below for the following response when using Refund Request:
|Field Name||Max Size||Attribute||Notes|
|Result||1||A||A = Approved|
D = Decline
R = Retry
C = Call for help
|responseCode||5||AN||[SEE TABLE HERE](https://developers.edgepay.io/reference/managing-responses-1>)|
|timestamp||19||Date||YYYY-MM-DD-hh-mm-ss (UTC Time)|
|transactionID||19||AN||A transaction ID will be assigned to the requested refund|
|originalTransactionID||18||AN||New transactionID associated with this transaction|
- merchantKey = this is the API KEY that is associated with your MID provided by GETTRX.
- externalReferenceId = It is a unique record identifier. Combination of 123456 + UNIX timestamp Sample: 1234561687543122
- transacationDate = Set to UTC timezone